In Alabama, the term “tailgate” usually conjures the thought of a tent sooner than a truck.
From spicy buffalo chicken dips to closely-guarded drink recipes, the traditions that we share when tailgating are timeless. Regardless of which team you go for, everyone has memories linked to this especially Southern time of year.
- Alma mater: Florida State
- Favorite college team: FSU
- Favorite tailgate food: Juicy cheeseburgers straight off the grill.
- What’s the best college football rivalry? FSU vs Clemson is pretty good, but we all know Alabama vs Auburn takes the cake.
- Why do you think college football is so popular, especially in the South? Because we have the best teams, which means more competition, and also means it’s way more fun to watch. Think about it, when’s the last time the National Championship has been won by a team not in the South (besides 2014)?
- What’s one of your most memorable moments from football season? 2005 FSU vs Miami at Doak Cambell Stadium. The score was FSU 10 – Miami 7, 4th Quarter, 2min left on the clock and Miami goes for a field goal to tie it up the game, they had a bad snap and didn’t get the kickoff, which broke Miami’s win streak(6) versus FSU. I was there in the student section going nuts over that game. Best game of my life!
- Any big plans for this season? My brother lives in VA, so we try to get together once a season and meet somewhere in the middle to watch an away game. This year we are hopefully going to the Clemson game, should be a good one!
- Alma mater: Auburn University
- Favorite college team: Auburn University
- Favorite tailgate food: Filet mignon, company potatoes, salad with a nice cold beer (tradition for AU vs. UGA and AU vs. UA)
- What’s the best college football rivalry? Hands down Iron Bowl – Auburn vs. Alabama
- Why do you think college football is so popular, especially in the South? When you’ve invested so much money and time into a university, that’s why.
- What’s one of your most memorable moments from football season? There’s so many!!
- 1994 – Auburn vs. Florida – Famous Frank Sanders TD Catch – My dad got me his jersey signed for Christmas that year
- 1996 – Auburn vs. LSU – I remember sitting in the stands and pointing out to my parents that something was on fire – The night ‘The Barn’ burned
- 2003 – 2007 – Being front row of every home game while attending Auburn University
- 2010 – Perfect Season / National Champions – Attended every home game, SEC Championship and National Championship
- 2013 – Auburn vs. UGA – Miracle at Jordan-Hare – Ricardo Louis catch
- 2013 – Auburn vs. Alabama – Pick Six… enough said
- 1987 – Present – Every Auburn win going to Toomer’s Corner and rolling it with toilet paper (I’ve missed only 30 Auburn home games in 30 years)
- Any big plans for this season? Heading to Auburn today after work for my first game this season and celebrating my birthday and the Iron Bowl in Auburn
- Alma mater: UAB
- Favorite college team: Clemson
- Favorite tailgate food: Dreamland ribs
- What’s the best college football rivalry? The Iron Bowl
- Why do you think college football is so popular, especially in the South? I think it has a lot to do with the traditions of each university, as well as the traditions of fans. College football dates so far back, and in many cases, entire bloodlines of families have allegiance to a particular university. College football in the South goes much deeper than simply watching your team play a game on Saturday. It’s like you’re allowed to act crazy if you’re acting crazy on a college football Saturday. It’s beautiful. And of course, the trash talking makes it what it is. Trash talking over college football in the South has the power to (somehow) sever ties between friendships, which is pretty hilarious, but also pretty powerful. To me, it’s the most entertaining form of sports that we have in the U.S.
- What’s one of your most memorable moments from football season? Going to Clemson several times a year with family. That’s something we’ve been doing as a family since 2009. It’s my favorite place in the South. But also, spending my time at UAB tailgating at every UAB home game, and welcoming the Blazers back to football this year.
- Any big plans for this season? Going to Clemson and Tuscaloosa quite a bit. I plan on going to the National Championship again this year, because the Tigers are for real again in 2017. Also, Go Blazers and Roll Tide.
- Alma mater: Auburn University at Montgomery
- Favorite college team: Oklahoma Sooners
- Favorite tailgate food: Boneless wings (because I’m lazy and don’t want to mess with bones)
- What’s the best college football rivalry? Red River Rivalry Oklahoma Vs Texas
- Why do you think college football is so popular, especially in the South?Because it’s something that we excel in. From middle school to high school, football here is a big deal, and most of the players are from the South. So, we get to see people we grew up with or went to school with playing on the big screen without all of the politics and money like the NFL. (Also, student-athletes deserve to get paid – just saying)
- What’s one of your most memorable moments from football season? Baker Mayfield torching Ohio State in the rematch and planting the flag at mid-field. He shouldn’t have apologized for it.
- Any big plans for this season? Hopefully watching OU get into the playoffs and make some noise!